MassDOT working with local high school students in Worcester has restored an historic roadside marker.Worcester Technical High School students restored the Wigwam Hill marker and presented the restored marker to the MassDOT Highway District office for installation.
The marker is one of 275 first erected more than 80 years ago. The legislature in 1930 authorized the Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission to design and erect roadside historical markers to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony by the Puritans in 1630.
The cast iron markers were placed primarily in Essex, Middlesex, Norfolk, and Worcester Counties. Ten markers were erected in the City of Worcester. Each marker has raised lettering and a state seal on both sides of the plaque. The plaques were painted silver with black lettering, with the state seal painted blue and gold.
The MassDOT Cultural Resources Unit is currently doing a statewide survey to locate the remaining markers and check their condition. Our thanks to the Worcester students and their excellent work in helping preserve this example of roadside history.